The origins of The Cargo Culte lay in a collection of mixes that BaddBob and I began sharing in the late fall and winter of 2008. A few scant months after the banking meltdown I found myself back in Los Angeles after eight years of wandering, living off of unemployment. BaddBob a behind the scenes guy in television and commercials as well found himself without much paying work in those days. In short we had nothing but time on our hands and these mixes were the result. For me, I collected my own under one header entitled the No Honor Among Mixtapes series. There were 14 issues under this series including #.5 and #.75, so named because they were crafted for my new love (and later mother of my two children, matriarch of our clan).
Many of these mixes became the earliest entries of The Cargo Culte ‘first draft’, a blogspot endeavor we started in the spring of 2009. They did not however make the cut when we redesigned and upgraded the site and moved to a proper self hosted home in the fall of 2010.
Having just rediscovered the full No Honor run in an old Mediafire account I have decided to repost them, once a week, for posterity.
- 01-Hanoi Hannah // How Are You GIJoe
- 02-Marnie Stern // Transformer
- 03-Les Savy Fav // The Equestrian
- 04-Fuck Buttons // Bright Tomorrow
- 05-From Ashes Rise // They
- 06-Zoviet France // First Vigil
- 07-Low // Murderer
- 08-Lightning Bolt // Dracula Mountain
- 09-Angel Hair // Witch Hunt Scene From Star Trek
- 10-Tombs // Gossamer
- 11-Tara Jane ONeil // Drowning
- 12-Black Math Horseman // Tyrant
- 13-Message To The Hip // In The Jungle
- 14-Assfactor4 // The Weight
- 15-Matamoros // Symbols
- 16-Wavves // So Bored